Drunk Driving Accident FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions About Drunk Driving Cases
Here are the answers to some of the questions most frequently asked about personal injury cases against drunk drivers. Our FAQ about personal injury cases also generally apply to drunk driving cases.
- What resources are available to me if I or a loved one has been injured by a drunk driver?
- If you have been injured—or if a loved one has been injured or killed—by a drunk driver, we suggest that you contact Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). MADD has well-trained victim advocates that can provide moral support and direct you to professional mental health resources if appropriate. They will also help you through the criminal process after the drunk driver has been charged. For more information about MADD and what it can offer, go to MADD’s Website. Or call us, and we can connect you with an Ohio MADD victim advocate.
- How will you help me following an accident caused by a drunk driver?
- In addition to making a legal claim for damages, we will help you understand the criminal prosecution of the drunk driver. If the law enforcement officers did their job properly, criminal charges will be brought by the prosecutor. There will be hearings and perhaps a trial. You may be called as a witness. If there is a plea by the defendant, you will be given the opportunity to make a statement to the judge before sentencing. We will help you understand this process. Furthermore, will stay in touch with the prosecutor and attend hearings with you.
- Can I make a claim against the bar or restaurant that provided alcohol to the drunk driver?
- The answer is a qualified yes. We have handled many such cases, but the law in Ohio keeps changing to make it harder and harder to prove such a claim. In Ohio, proving that the bartender should have known that a patron was intoxicated in not enough! You must prove that the server had “actual knowledge” of the patron’s intoxication and continued to sever alcohol to the patron. This is almost an impossible burden.
Contact Experienced Drunk Driving Attorneys Who Understand
The Needs of Drunk Driving Victims
For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced lawyer regarding a drunk driving accident,
please call us at 800-647-7003 or contact us via email.
RECENT BLOG POSTS FOR CAR ACCIDENTS
Do You Need a Truck Accident Lawyer After a Columbus Crash?
As a driver, you have a solid understanding of Ohio’s road rules – but if you’re like most motorists, you’re not too sure how to go about getting compensation for losses in a Columbus trucking crash. Is hiring a truck accident lawyer a must? Actually, no. You aren’t...
How Fast Can a Columbus Truck Accident Law Firm Settle Your Claim?
You’d think that the legal team at a long-standing Columbus truck accident law firm like Clark, Perdue & List would be able to tell you about how long it usually takes to settle a personal injury claim. But in reality, every case is unique. At times, the injured...
What Compensation Can a Columbus Truck Accident Attorney Pursue?
Commercial trucking companies have the resources they need to protect their interests after a collision – and an experienced Columbus truck accident attorney can provide that same protection to injured crash victims. If you’ve suffered serious injuries in a Columbus...
Motor Vehicle Fatalities Rise in 2020
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released data of motor vehicle traffic fatalities in 2020. Despite less drivers on the road due to the COVID-19 pandemic, traffic fatalities were the highest reported since 2007. There were 38,824 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes on U.S. roadways during 2020. This represents a 6.8% increase over the previous year.
What to Look for In a Columbus Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer
After a collision with a big rig or 18-wheeler, you need a Columbus semi-truck accident lawyer to protect your rights. Insurance adjusters are not on your side, despite how sympathetic and helpful they may seem. It’s their job to do whatever they can to pay out as...
What Will It Cost to Hire a Truck Accident Attorney in Columbus?
Contacting a truck accident attorney is a smart move if you’ve been injured in a crash with a big rig. Like many Columbus accident victims, you may not be in a position to pay for legal services – but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a lawyer’s assistance. Look for a...