Eminent Domain: Columbus Plans to Widen Gender and Refugee Roads

During these unprecedented times, Clark, Perdue, & List Co, LPA is here to fully support your needs in a timely and safe manner. COVID-19 should not affect your ability to investigate a personal injury case. We currently remain open and are still accepting new cases. With your safety top of mind, we are scheduling all meetings via telephone or video conference at this time.

The City of Columbus and the Ohio Department of Transportation are collaborating on plans to improve Gender and Refugee Roads. The project is still in the design stage, therefore the potential for future eminent domain proceedings is unknown.

Current plans call for widening and resurfacing of Gender Road between the Conrail railroad tracks and Dorothy’s Pond Lane and widening and resurfacing of Refugee Road between Countryview Drive and Quinlan Boulevard. In addition, the project would include construction of sidewalks, curbs and gutters, a shared use path on the south side of Refugee Road and bike lanes on both sides of Gender Road.

The planned improvements would reduce traffic congestion, improve safety and upgrade pedestrian and bicycle facilities. Project design is expected to be completed by the winter of 2014. Construction is planned to begin in 2016, pending availability of funding. The estimated cost of the project is $5.2 million. The Ohio Department of Transportation will provide 90% of the cost, and the City of Columbus will be responsible for the remaining 10%.

The law firm of Clark, Perdue & List represents land owners whose property is affected by construction of roadways, public facilities, utility transmission lines and pipelines. Individuals who find themselves facing eminent domain proceedings have a right to receive fair market value for their property. If you have been notified that a government authority intends to use your property for a public purpose or believe you own property that may be subject to future eminent domain proceeds, contact the Ohio eminent domain attorneys at Clark, Perdue and List.